Thursday, August 5, 2010

Back to the Beginning

I'm going to back track a little bit and go back to the beginning of the summer when my kids left and I had big plans for all my 'free' time.  


I am one of those mothers who happily sends her children off every summer to camp for 4 to 6 weeks.  For the last 5 summers we have been completely childless for a minimum of 4 weeks and it is wonderful!  I subscribe to the philosophy that we all need a vacation from each other - it's good for them and for us.  I thank my parents for instilling this value in me.  Sorry to all those who weep when their kids go to school or camp, I personally do a little happy dance.  I think overnight camp is a great experience for kids, a place to escape all the pressures of city life and it's routines.  It is a place to grow emotionally, gain independence and build strong friendships, which if you are lucky, will be for life.  It is my greatest joy to pass on that experience to my children.  





This is all the farewells.  Oldest Daughter went to Israel and returns home Monday, # 1 Son is at camp in Sudbury and Youngest Daughter is at camp in Gravenhurst.  I used October Afternoon papers and stickers, which I'm starting to love (I'm a late bloomer Dena) as well as American Craft ribbon.  Look at the close up to see one of Emily's great journal stamps, from Stamping Bella.


Ok, enough with the philosophy - truly the best part of all of it is...ME time! 


My first summer without any kids I dubbed the Summer of Sindi.  I didn't work and I made the most of it, meaning I did a lot of nothing! Relaxing, reading and hanging out with my hubby and friends were high on my list of priorities (not necessarily in that order) .  These things are still at the top of my list but I'm  working  and my time is a little less my own.   The overall feeling of is the same - three less (though very loved) people to worry about! Three less lunches and dinners, three less people to shop for, three less people to drive places and at least three less loads of laundry (I feel another layout coming on - entitled '3-less"!)


So pretty much this is what I am doing with my 'free' from three time


1. Posting
2. Scrapbooking (and not always just for fun)
3. Spending time with my hubby - though not as much as I thought considering we're in the      city all week together for the first time in 11 summers!
4. Relaxing - which includes reading, crosswords and creating my art journal
5. Mahj - occasionally and definitely not enough!


The three less kind of day...





3 comments:

  1. I'm with you...I didn't cry when my kids went away to university and then moved out...I couldn't wait to put all my craft stuff in their rooms! Your blog is fun to read. I also want to see your art journal the next time you're in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why you and I get along so well! I want a craft room too, but they're too young to move out! lol. I will bring it in, but it's still in the semi lame stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An art journal is never in the semi lame stage....unless you are feeling semi lame when you are journaling

    ReplyDelete